Cupcakes seem to be all of the rage these days. It is a well-deserved rage in my opinion. Any handy bite-sized concoction made with flour, sugar and fat deserves to be paid attention to. This recipe adds a quintessential American twist to our friend, the cupcake.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 T. sugar
- 6 T./ 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2t. / 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 T. flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t./ 1/8 t. salt
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- mini-marshmallows (opt. if you feel like experimenting)
- Combine butter, sugar, 6 T. brown sugar & 1/2 t. vanilla and beat until creamy. Add 1 egg.
- Combine flour, baking soda and 1/2 t. salt & stir into butter mixture.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon into 16 cupcake cups in muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, remaining egg, and 1/8 t. salt in a bowl and beat until thick. Stir in chocolate morsels, optional nuts and remaining vanilla. I have added mini-marshmallow, too, for a successful variation.
- Drop/ spread 1 tablespoonful over each cupcake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes – keep on eye on them.