When I was young, we always celebrated all of our holidays with my Uncle John and Aunt Betty and kids. My cousins were all older than me and so, so cool – I loved going over there. Also, Aunt Betty was and is a really good cook and I could always count on her baking her fresh, yeasty rolls. The kids grew up, the family expanded and time went on and we no longer shared holidays. But, luckily for me she shared her roll recipe with me. So, it’s a little morsel of the past for me to hang on to.
Aunt Bettys Refrigerator Rolls
- 2 yeast packages
- 2 cups water, warm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 t. salt
- 6 1/2-7 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- Soften yeast in water – add sugar and salt. Wait about 5 minutes.
- Add about a half of the flour. Beat 2 minutes. Add egg and oil.
- Gradually beat in remaining flour until smooth.
- Cover with damp cloth and put in the refrigerator (can be stored 3-4 days)
- 2 hours before baking shape into rolls and place on greased baking sheet. Cover. Let rise 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
I. LOVE. AUNT BETTY’S YEAST ROLLS!!!!