Whenever I need rice to go along with a Mexican meal I turn to my Rick Bayless Everyday Mexican Cookbook. This rice is easy and turns out perfect everytime. For a super easy version you can use your rice cooker.
Mexican White Rice (Rick Bayless style)
- 1 1/2 T. vegetable or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups medium grain white rice
- 1 onion, chopped into 1/4\” pieces
- 2 cloves garlice, minced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 t. salt
- 3 T. chopped italian parsley or cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle.
- In medium size dutch oven style pot, add the oil, rice and onion. Stir about 5 minutes until the grains of rice turn milky-white.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant then add the broth and salt. Stir and let the mixture come to a full boil.
- Cover the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes and then fluff it up with a fork and sprinkle with the parsley or cilantro.
- Rice Cooker Version: After sauteing the rice, put it into the rice cooker with the remaining ingredients and then let the rice cooker cook.