I tried this recipe by Laurie Colwin for baked chicken the other day. I found it in Molly O’Neill’s New York Cookbook. It was really easy to prepare and quite tasty. I used a combination of chicken thighs and breasts. The 2 1/2 hour cooking time made the thighs divine and the coating/ crust supremely yummy, but the breasts were really, really dry. So big warning, DO NOT USE CHICKEN BREASTS!
Super Long Baked Chicken
- 2 (2-1/2 – 3 pound) broiling chickens, rinsed, dried and quartered
- 1 cup dijon mustard
- 2 T. fresh or 1 T. dried thyme
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/8 t. cinnamon, ground
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs (or panko) lightly salted and peppered
- 4 T. butter
- 1 T. sweet paprika
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- In a bowl, combine the mustard, garlic, thyme, pepper and cinnamon.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the mustard mixture and then roll to cover in the bread crumbs.
- Arrange in 1 or 2 shallow baking pans.
- Dot each piece with some butter and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
- Serves 4 – 6.