Chicken Divan was my family’s “special occasion” casserole when I was growing up. Everyone in my family loves it. This is one of those vintage casseroles that never grows old. Last week, I decided to make it while out at the beach with my friend Diane, the queen of “PLAIN” cooking. Diane decided to try it, even though it contained that most exotic of ingredients – curry powder. She liked it, but would have preferred it without the curry powder. I’m going to keep working on her. Next year, I’m going to give her something with dill in it or dare her to try tarragon….Anyways, I hope you like chicken divan as much as we do.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked, boned and cubed
- 2 – 10 oz. packages frozen broccoli (or fresh equivalent)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 2-3 T. curry powder
- 2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- optional: fresh bread crumbs to cover top mixed with melted butter
- Barely cook broccoli. Place in bottom of large casserole dish.
- Place cubed chicken on top of broccoli.
- Mix together soup, mayo, lemon juice and curry. Spread over chicken.
- Top with cheese and buttered bread crumbs, if desired. My sister-in-law, Laureen, swears by the bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Looks yummy! I can’t wait to try it!