My favorite salad dressing lately is from Rick Bayless’ Mexican Everyday Cookbook. Miracle of miracles, even all of my children like it. It is full of garlic, cilantro and avocado; three of my favorite ingredients. Sometimes, I’ll use it on a chopped green salad full of tomatos, cheddar cheese, corn, cilantro, red peppers, blackbeans, green onions, and avocados topped with grilled chicken breasts. Lately, my favorite salad is a quicker version made with prechopped coleslaw cabbage and store-bought roast chicken. Very easy and very tasty! I made it the other day for the snack after my tennis team’s match along with Mexican pulled pork tacos, chips and my guacamole and two new pies; brownie pie and 1927 cream pie. I think they liked it.
Mexican Chop Salad with Tangy Avocado Dressing
- 1 bag chopped coleslaw cabbage
- 15 oz. can black beans, well rinsed
- 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 3.8 oz can sliced olives
- meat shredded or chopped from 1 store-bought roast chicken
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 4 or 5 roma tomatos, chopped up
- optional: crumbled corn chips
- optional: avocado, chopped up
- optional: romaine lettuce, chopped up
- optional: red onion, chopped up
- optional red bell pepper, chopped up
- optional cheddar cheese, shredded or cotija cheese
- enough Tangy Avocado Dressing to coat everything
- Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl with the dressing.
Tangy Avocado Dressing
- 1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, best foods or hellmans
- 1 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 large ripe avocado flesh
- 1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed and roughly chopped
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3 T. water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Taste and season with more salt if you deem it necessary.
Oh my….just made this for lunch and it was FABULOUS!!!!! In the dressing I used only 2 tablespoons of mayo and the rest I substituted with plain coconut milk yogurt. The dressing was incredible and still super rich and unctuous.
This is going to be my new luncheon salad. Thank you, my friend!! Another hit!!!