I based this soup on a recipe I found in a cookbook I got in Bar Harbor, Maine a few years ago. It’s cheesy and good.
Spring Cheddar Cheese and Ale Soup
- 6 T. butter
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups sweet brown ale
- 3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup cream (or milk)
- In a large stock pot over medium heat saute vegetables and garlic in butter for about 10 minutes – until almost tender.
- Add stock and ale. Simmer another 15-20 minutes.
- Combine cheese and flour. Using a whisk, blend the cheese mixture into the stock. Keep the heat on the low side and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Blend the cream in slowly. Salt and pepper to tast.