Creamsicles – don’t they remind you of summer?And, sometimes in the bleak midwinter we need reminders of summer. So, in January, this was the pie of the month for my auction pie winners. This pie has the consistency of a lemon meringue, but tastes of orange, of course. Instead of a meringue topping I used sweetened whipped cream to stick to my creamsicle theme. The only thing missing was the popsicle stick! I hope you enjoy it!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 cup tangerine or orange juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 T. grated orange rind
- 1 T. butter
- 1 baked pie shell
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Blend in juice, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and clear.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and then add the egg yolks into the hot mixture. Stir in orange rind and butter and mix well.
- Cool and then spread mixture in baked pie shell.
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the orange mixture.
- Cool for another couple of hours before serving.