I love cherry pie. When I was a kid, my mom would get fresh, tart pie cherries to make a cherry pie. I have never been able to find fresh ones, but fortunately, my local grocery store carries a canned variety from the Oregon Fruit Company. The following recipe makes a very big, hearty deep dish pie. Don’t worry if you don’t have both corn starch and tapioca; just use 6 T. of one or the other.
Plain Old Cherry Pie
- 4 cans (14.5 oz) ~ about 6 cups Oregon Fruit red tart cherries, drained
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups sugar
- 1 t. almond extract
- 3 T. tapioca
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1 recipe pie pastry to double crust
- Roll out the bottom pie crust and place into pie pan.
- Mix together cherries, sugar, almond extract, tapioca & cornstarch & place in pie crust, dot with butter.
- Roll out top crust & place on top of filling. Crimp edges to form crust and vent with a knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Cover crust with foil if it is getting too brown.
Leave a Reply